First Root Farm
First Root is a little vegetable farm with a big heart. We are young farmers who grow food with love. We love to eat, we love to cook, and we love working outside.
We farm on 4.5 acres of historic farmland in Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord, MA. Since 2009, we have been providing sustainably-grown vegetables and flowers to our community in eastern Massachusetts. Our vegetables are available in the summer, fall, and winter through our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). We also sell to several local restaurants and operate a mini-farmstand.
We use organic and sustainable growing practices because we want this land to be fertile and healthy for generations to come. We host monthly community work days and farm potlucks because we believe connecting folks to each other and the land and the food we all eat is both satisfying and important.
As a successful start-up farm, we hope to inspire other farmers (young and old) to take the plunge and make their own farm dreams come true.
Posted by Laura :: Wednesday, January 13 :: 8:06am
Get excited! 2016 CSA shares are here and they are better than ever! We can't wait for summer and all the vegetable beauty it brings. January is a quiet (but busy) time of year around the farm. We're analyzing 2015 harvest data, finalizing our crop plan, ordering seeds, and hiring our 2016 crew. But what we're most excited about is welcoming new members to the CSA this season!
We have very few CSA shares available this season, so please sign up early to ensure you get a spot! Our Davis Square pickup is already sold out (to get on the Davis Square waitlist, please email us at email@example.com).
We have full and small summer shares, November and December shares, fruit shares, corn shares, and we're also offering a beautiful weekly bouquet share grown by the incredible farmers down the road at Field Edge Flowers.
What's new and exciting about the 2016 CSA?
- More flexibility! As always, you'll be able to choose what veggies you want. We also ask that you choose a regular pickup day--but if you can't make it, if you're away, if you forget--you can come get your share on another day without any hassle.
- Extras for sale! We'll be stocking the farmstand with some tasty products from neighboring farms--eggs, meat, grain, mushrooms--the possibilities are endless. Members will be able to buy farm cards to use throughout the season to purchase tasty locally-grown additions to their CSA shares.
We also have some exciting work share opportunities for the 2016 season!
- Saturday morning fieldwork (Saturdays 8am-12pm): Join us on Saturday mornings for weeding, planting, bulk harvesting, and other fieldwork.
- Farm Zine Maker (flexible schedule): We're looking for a talented and creative artist who loves veggies and cooking to make pages for our weekly CSA zine news zine.
- Weed whacker (flexible schedule): We're looking for someone who loves being outside and keeping things tidy to spend up to 4 hours a week maintaining our fence lines.
Full descriptions and how to apply here.
Posted by Laura :: Monday, December 7 :: 10:53am
Saturday, December 19th, 1pm-5pm
First Root Farm Holiday Sale
The First Root Farmstand, 955 Lexington Road, Concord
Mark your calendars now--Saturday, December 19th will be your last chance to buy First Root veggies in 2015! We'll have everything you need to ensure your holiday season is full of good food, plus a whole bunch of fun extras in case you need some farm-inspired gifts!
We'll have lots of our own organically grown produce, including carrots, beets, celeriac, rutabaga, onions, shallots, garlic, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage, brussels sprouts, kale, daikon radish, thyme, and more.
We'll also have some veggies we didn't grow this season from neighboring farms, including parsnips and winter squash. And of course we'll have lots of delicious extras from many wonderful MA farms and orchards--apples, cider, cranberries, goat cheese, flour, grain, beans, meat, eggs, and maple syrup!
If you need any last-minute gifts we'll have our own beautiful dried flower bouquets, First Root t-shirts, and framed veggie celebrity prints!
This time of year is bittersweet for us. The farm is finally just about put to sleep for the winter. By December 19th, all of our crops will be out of the field and safely in the root cellar. We look forward to one last day to chat with all of you--our amazing customers and CSA members--share the vegetable bounty, exchange a few recipes, and say, one more time, thanks for a wonderful season.